Sometimes God has a different path in store for us. After being diagnosed with POF, I set out on a journey to "repair" my body and get pregnant naturally. Somewhere along the line, although pristine health and self care is my goal, the necessity to "prove" the doctors wrong became less important and we sought the perfect solution to grow our family. We decided on Embryo Donation / Adoption. Read about our journey. Blessings!

Milk Donation

Jan. 17, 2018

I touched yesterday on milk donation. I'm a chronic over producer. In the early days it irritated me. It was constant engorgement, discomfort, blocked ducts and pain. I still get annoyed time to time and wrestle with the occasional blocked duct - all you ladies out there doing the dangle feed...holla!

BUT, I realize how blessed I am. I never had to scramble for food or slave over lactation cookies (although those buggers are good, right?? or take additional supplements like fenugreek or brewers yeast.) Don't get me wrong - fed is best and thank God for formulas, right? There are kids though that can't tolerate formula or need a little extra support breast milk can provide.

I filled up my chest freezer to the brim. There ain't no more room in there. With my first son, I had to wean at 14 months and my stash got us to 18 months of liquid gold. Now that S has officially hit 14 months and I'm still going strong nursing and my health is good, I feel comfortable giving away some of that to a baby that needs it. I wrestled 46 bags out - about 250 oz and donated it today to a mom whose son was in the NICU for several months. He came very early and she's only able to produce about 1 oz at a time. I felt so good that my milk didn't go to waste as it was creeping up on the 9-12 month mark.

I didn't know about Human Milk 4 Human Babies until I was trying to donate it to anyone local and someone clued me in. Ladies - if you are an overproducer - get in there. If you are an underproducer and would like to supplement with donated milk - get in there! Search Human Milk 4 Human Babies and your state on Facebook. NO SELLING! Ugh. A nightmare of a woman in there with a sob story about needing milk for her baby was just caught accepting DONATED milk and selling it - karma baby. Karma! Makes me sick.

There are organizations you can use to donate to hospitals as well, but this mama drinks a cup of coffee in the am and uses essential oils which some programs don't allow. Heck, most don't allow any supplements aside from prenatals and some are very strict on your diet. In this group, you share honestly your lifestyle and people choose to accept your milk if it fits their stipulations. Example, some babies can't tolerate dairy, so list that as a recipient you need donated milk no dairy - or search a donor for a no dairy diet.

I'll be real with you. My child...is the result of donation. He would not EXIST without the sacrifice, heart and love of our donors. Finding this group has given me an excitement to maybe repay that in a teeny tiny microscopic way.

Human Milk 4 Human Babies!

Get in there!

No comments:

Post a Comment