Sometimes God has a different path in store for us. After being diagnosed with POF, I set out on a journey to "repair" my body and get pregnant naturally. Somewhere along the line, although pristine health and self care is my goal, the necessity to "prove" the doctors wrong became less important and we sought the perfect solution to grow our family. We decided on Embryo Donation / Adoption. Read about our journey. Blessings!

Let the Poking and Prodding Begin

Jan. 29, 2014

Well, I had my first consult and acupuncture session with my TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine.) They pretty much told me I was a washed up rag doll. My Chi was low. My pulse was ridiculously weak and my kidney and liver channels were pretty bad.

Liver - emotions and stress
Kidney - Reproductive

So, they were right on target. First thing, they told me to wean my son as soon as possible. That I was too weak to give him "life" from nursing and maintain my own. My ovaries had shut down because I couldn't maintain everything.

Second, I have to limit my stress big time. They said I was highly anxious and stressed out. Yup!

I keep saying "They." Let me explain. My doctor was trained in China by her father who is a pretty big deal there, as pretty high up as they come in the TCM world. She moved to the United States, but her English is limited. Her husband, translates for us. He is also a doctor, but her specialty is fertility, so although I refer to them as "my doctors" it is mainly her insight and practice and his translation I am referring to. That being said, he has been instrumental in teaching me about meditation.

First, they took my pulse. There are three pulse points near each wrist. Here is a link to give you an overview.

http://www.emperors.edu/qiblog/2012/08/pulse-power-understanding-tcm-pulse-diagnosis/

Next, she looked at my tongue. They look for coating, color and the size. I couldn't for the life of me understand it all when they explained, but of course went to Mr. Google when I got home. Here is a recap.

http://www.sacredlotus.com/diagnosis/tongue/

Interesting stuff, yes? After taking a million notes and asking me questions regarding symptoms, do I got hot, have night sweats, anxiety, trouble sleeping (yes to all of that) they asked if I have regular bowel movements, lubrication down there, etc, they started my acupuncture session.

The doctor ushered me in to a room and, not thinking, I'd worn jeans, I took off my pants so they could apply the needles. They applied a few in each wrist, my temples, around my midsection, on my legs and feet. Opening my channels. I didn't quite understand all the meridians they spoke about, but he said it was a "wake up call" to my reproductive system. The meridians stretch throughout our whole body which is why a needle in between your toes can awaken something in your reproductive system. A hypothesis is when we were embryos and our cells were dividing, cells that formed together still maintain basic energy paths. I'm summarizing it, probably not in the correct scientific way, but it is rather fascinating how it all works out.

Dr. Li left me with my needles for about 35 minutes with a heat lamp on, the lights dimmed and gently music playing. When she came back, I will admit to feeling oddly calm.


No comments:

Post a Comment