Sometimes God has a different path in store for us. After being diagnosed with POF, I set out on a journey to "repair" my body and get pregnant naturally. Somewhere along the line, although pristine health and self care is my goal, the necessity to "prove" the doctors wrong became less important and we sought the perfect solution to grow our family. We decided on Embryo Donation / Adoption. Read about our journey. Blessings!

Coming Out Aftermath and Bone Scan Results

April 20, 2015

Well, yesterday morning around 8 am I hit post. I was nervous what the outcome would be but tried to go on with my day. I glanced at Facebook quickly before leaving for church and was astounded at how many people had already responded. After church, more and more people. More and more private messages of people dealing with or having had dealt with their own struggles. Now, less than 24 hrs after hitting post, 173 people liked the status, 63 people have commented and I've received 12 messages, many of whom shared their own stories. To say this is a disease that does not resonate with people...well, that is inaccurate, plain and simple.

I feel like a weight has been lifted. I do feel freer, and although I know my feelings and physical issues won't disappear overnight, I've a support system. People offered such words of encouragement and hope, people shared openly their own struggles and miracles. It was a very humbling experience.

Now, in regards to my bone scan, my spine does show thinning of the bone. How much, I don't know yet. My doctor has referred me to an endocrinologist, instructed me to get at least 1500 mg of calcium and 1000 international units of Vitamin D a day and to increase my weight bearing exercises. Dr. Google, who I know I SHOULD avoid at all costs leads me to think I have osteopenia...at least I hope it isn't as severe as osteoporosis.

Do yourself a favor...don't google it. It's rather scary. A spine collapsing when you turn over in bed. Good grief. It DOES make me want to listen to my chiropractor who on my last visit was really harping on the need for him to do an xray. I was kind of brushing him off because I don't have money, but maybe he can incorporate treatment for this.

I'll keep you posted on my endocrinologist visit. I know they don't specialize in reproductive endocrinology, but maybe they have some tips or know how for POF. Can't hurt to ask, right?

In the mean time, I did look up a site that offers holistic methods for increasing bone strength and reducing bone loss. Check it out here. It talks about several herbs that can be used so I'll talk this over with my TCM on the next visit to see if they can add some of these into my mix. This site also stressed the importance of balance and coordination exercises to prevent falls that cause fractures in the first place so makes me want to be more proactive about setting aside time for yoga and pilates and like I spoke about in a past blog, I need to be more vigilant to set aside time to do cardio exercise and weight bearing exercise. The good thing is, I've already cut caffiene and alcohol (aside from an occasional drink) out and I've never smoked.

I am going to talk to my doctor about using NTX testing which is not an xray but a blood draw that shows the current absorption rate of your bones. I also need to speak with the endocrinologist about a few more hormonal levels.

I've been concentrating on my estradiol and FSH, but for bone health, I need to be looking at testosterone, progesterone, DHEA, IGF-1, D3 in addition to the estraiol. He has a good chart for telling the ideal numbers. I know I've touched on DHEA on the past and said I wasn't comfortable taking it, but that was not knowing my DHEA numbers and not being monitored. Under an endocrinologist care, I'm open to discussing supplementing that with him or her.

Who would've thunk I'd be dealing with osteopenia / osteoporosis talk as a 35 year old woman, right? Isn't this an old lady disease? Then again, never thought I'd be told I was menopausal before my 35th birthday.

Like I say with the POF diagnosis. No thanks. I'll use this information to make smart choices going forward and trust with knowledge brings power to change my situation.

God bless.


No comments:

Post a Comment