Sometimes God has a different path in store for us. After being diagnosed with POF, I set out on a journey to "repair" my body and get pregnant naturally. Somewhere along the line, although pristine health and self care is my goal, the necessity to "prove" the doctors wrong became less important and we sought the perfect solution to grow our family. We decided on Embryo Donation / Adoption. Read about our journey. Blessings!

Bone Scan

April 15, 2015

Just a quick update...

Yesterday, I went in for my bone scan. As many of you know osteoporosis is a huge concern within the POF community. Thankfully, after hearing absolute horror stories of how so many of your insurance companies wouldn't allow you scans because you weren't 65 years old yet (the age "normal" women start getting them) I had no problem at all. My OBGYN just had to put a lab request in and it was actually a "no charge" service under my health plan because it was considered preventative.

They did ask me over the phone, and in person if I was pregnant and I had to give my obligatory no (and I did take a test to make sure before I went.) It's really a quick and easy process. I laid on a table and they had an xray on top that scanned by hips and spine. They use two different x-rays to gather the probability of an osteoporosis based fracture in the next 10 years.

The technician said joking, yours will I'm sure be 0 because you are so young. I had to grimace and say, "yes, well, I'm here because I have premature ovarian failure, so although I look young, my body is menopausal." I couldn't help but see her shock. "But, you're so young!!"

"Yeah, crappy hand, huh?"

At least I could joke about it. I should have my results back in about a weeks time she said. The labs won't be posted online, but sent directly to my doctor, so I don't know how long it will take to get them from her. I'll keep you posted.

My hands off approach has been good for my mental and physical (read, emotional!!) health. I'm doing pretty good. I've a mad new passion for essential oils, which I'll have to write about in another post because it'd be a long one and have made some progress in the EA process. Again, another post for another day.

Just a reminder to all my POF sisters out there, be religious about your calcium, vitamin D and magnesium!!

God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment