Sometimes God has a different path in store for us. After being diagnosed with POF, I set out on a journey to "repair" my body and get pregnant naturally. Somewhere along the line, although pristine health and self care is my goal, the necessity to "prove" the doctors wrong became less important and we sought the perfect solution to grow our family. We decided on Embryo Donation / Adoption. Read about our journey. Blessings!

My Pep Talk

April 13, 2014

So, based on my own research, the science of how our reproductive systems work, basically, a follicle grows and released an egg over the course of 150 days, or about 5 months. In my mind, this is what I keep telling myself. My AMH, was less than .03. So, almost none!! The “egg timer” test as they call this basically says your egg quality is zip. However, as I researched this more, that couldn’t be more incorrect. It says that your GROWING follicles are zip. It has nothing to do with your egg quality or how many dormant follicles you have. There is absolutely no test (to my knowledge) that can test that with absolute certainty. The AMH test is based on assumption. Wow! Something I wish the doctors would have mentioned. So much of these tests are based on assumption, because they think because it IS one way, it cannot improve. No fault of their own necessarily, that’s the way POF is viewed by Western Medicine.

As I dug further, I found several articles stating just that, but am including a link here written by Randine Lewis. I have her book and love it so I wasn’t surprised to find this article online.


In it, she said the same thing. Just because your follicle count, or AMH appears to be “0”, if you can wake up your ovaries, you can indeed start growing them. Your egg quality is determined basically over the three months before it’s decided it will be the dominant follicle.

Looking at my POF timeline, I was diagnosed early January, got my second opinion and final blood tests nearing the end of January. I made some immediate changes, but my first acupuncture session was January 29th. Based on that initial date, the end of June is really when I should start to see improvement. If I’d had a normal AMH, I’d anticipate results three months sooner.


So, I will be patient. I really do feel like things are starting to swing in the right direction. My body has made a lot of improvement, and I know for a fact there was at least one follicle the doctor saw on my initial u/s during the diagnosis process. Maybe I can catch that little egg as it’s finally released, but if not, I hold faith that I will have a whole slew of healthy follicles and eggs in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment